It may have been a slow and murky start to the 2014 carnival season, but despite the challenges, both the CPMA and the Calypso Association are pressing on this week with plans to host a bumper music weekend. And that might be quite literal too judging by the number of bumper songs this year—“Bumper Inspector,” “That Bumper is Mine” and so on. With the conclusion of the quarter-final calypso competition last weekend, eighteen semi-finalist, have been chosen to compete this Sunday July 6 at the National Cultural Center. They are former monarchs Educator, Ashanti, Invader, Lady Spice, Nintus and Walleigh. The other semi-finalists include three ladies-Lady Lyn, Mary G and Redy. The other semi-finalists are Herb Black, Achiever, Blaze, Dennis James, Hitty, Patience, Siah, Taker and Ti Carro. In the case of the Groovy and Power Soca preliminaries, performers were chosen last Sunday by a panel of judges who made the selections from CD and MP3 submissions. Twenty performers each are down for the Groovy Soca and Power Soca preliminaries scheduled for Friday, July 4, 2014. Eleven of the artistes will take part in both competitions. They also include three DJ’s-DJ HP, DJ Cleus-maybe four if we consider Yardie who is now a radio announcer. The performers in the Power Soca category are Ambi, Arthur, DJ Cleus, D Sean, Derrick Yarde, DJ HP, Dragon, Ezra, General Bakes, J Mouse, J Buds, Kakal, Mantius, Mongster, Mubarak, Platinum George, Q Pid, Sergie, Tea Bag and Yardie. Groovy Soca preliminary performers are Ambi, Arthur, Benje, De Sean, DJ HP, Esteban, Exodus, General Bakes, Grapes, Mantius, Mongster, Mubarak, Mysterio, Nerdy, Knyckler, Platinum George, QPid, Sedale, Sergie and Trish. The format of Friday’s event is an after-work lime beginning at 5 pm on the grounds of the National Cultural Center and the event is free. Meanwhile the performers of all competitions (Calypso Monarch Semi Finals, Groovy Soca and Power Soca Preliminaries ) are reminded to report to the CDF offices today Wednesday 2nd June 2014, from 10.00 am to sign their Performance Contracts and dip for their respective order of appearances. Hopefully this is one contract Ambi will not ask organizers to hold.
Calypso and Soca Weekend
Caribbean Book Feature at The Yard St. Lucia's 'Book Yard Book Store - NAVEL STRING'.Posted by The St Lucia STAR Newspaper on Thursday, 10 March 2016
- Taiwan donates US$200,000 for Matthew affected farmers! on
- George Odlum: Devil or Saint? on
- Lapses And Infelicities – A Review by McDonald Dixon on
- Regional Johnnie Cochrans Promise Suspended Reporter Free Services! on
- Man charged for possession of illegal firearm on
- We Could Drown in What Our Eyes Refuse To See! on
- Memo to PM Allen Chastanet Act Now Or We Perish! on
- Are lying journalists really politicians in disguise? on
- CBD/ECCB Diagnostic Report urges Government to undergo Structural Reforms on
- CDB advises Barbados Government to sell Caribbean Broadcasting Corp! on
- Trans-colonial collaboration in St Lucia’s political system on
- US State Department meets local journalists on
- Is education a luxury Looshans can’t afford? on
- Remembering Britain’s Efforts Against Slavery on
- POLITICS IS NO SCIENCE on
- Successful Trip to Taiwan Says Minister Flood-Beaubrun on
- PM Promises New DPP At Any Cost! on
- Eye spy ~ The Gods Must Be Crazy! on
The STAR Photo Gallery
Follow the STAR on TwitterMy Tweets
- There are currently no Ads to show.
Entertainment & Archives
Tit Bits & Archives
Lifestyle & Archives
Why Can’t a Man be More like a Woman?
Suicide: A Nation’s Worst Nightmare!
First Guatemalan baby born with Zika-linked microcephaly
More Lifestyle Stories
2Nite Magazine TV
2Nite Magazine's Candid Camera
You never know where 2Nite Magazine will capture you next. You may very well be the next one 'caught on candid camera' at the next event!! If its HIP and its HAPPENING, then its in 2Nite! Hosted by: Faye-Chantelle Mondesir (Empress Faye)Posted by 2nite Magazine on Friday, 22 January 2016
Contact us via WhatsApp with news on 1 758 720 2896
Sound your voice and cast your ballot!
Poll for the weekSee all polls and results
TALK or VENT here!
Subscribe for latest news and updates
- Does PM Chastanet hold the Sir John Code? October 25, 2016
- Prince Harry to Visit St Lucia in November October 25, 2016
- Crisis Centre: Violence Against Women Must Stop Now! October 24, 2016
- Sugar and Spice: Why do we keep robbing little girls of everything nice? October 24, 2016
- Laws Do Not Stop or Prevent Crime! October 24, 2016
- Writing Gave me a Voice October 22, 2016
- For Whom the Bell Tolls October 22, 2016
- Do Black Lives Matter in Our Own Backyard? October 22, 2016
- The People’s Prophet Should Be Remembered For Whom He Was! October 22, 2016
- Another Graduation, Another Eye Opener October 22, 2016
Star Publishing Company is the Publisher and
Printer of the STAR Newspaper, and Tropical Traveller and SHE Caribbean Magazines.