On Friday, June 5, 2015, 512 members of the St. Lucia Civil Service Association (CSA) called for an Extraordinary Meeting of the organization to petition for the removal of the entire National Executive Council of the Union.
The petition for removal of the Executive culminated a two week drive by the Save Our Union team to gather signatures, launched at a meeting held at the Castries City Council on Friday, May 29th, 2015.
The petition was filed under Section 6.9(i) of the Constitution of CSA which provides for the removal of the entire Executive Council or any of its members by a two-thirds majority vote of those present and voting at an Extraordinary General Meeting held for this purpose.
According to the constitution of the Union, 75 signatures are required. However, within ten days 512 signatures were amassed calling for the removal of the entire National Executive Council.
Among the grievances quoted by the petitioners are:
1. Procedural impropriety including the failure of the Executive to hold an Annual General Meeting for ratification of the membership of the Executive Council, and signing of cheques using unauthorized procedures.
2. Unconstitutional action regarding the refusal to convene General Council meetings as well as the appointment of members of the National Executive Council.
3. Misconduct and disregard for the views and requests of members, including the denial of members’ rights guaranteed by the constitution, and the use of disparaging remarks to tarnish members.
4. Incompetence in the administration of the affairs of the Union, including the lapse of insurance coverage for five months from December 2014 and the non-negotiations of expired Collective Agreements.
5. The failure of the National Executive Council to effectively represent and unite all its members in accordance with its objects.
6. Failure of the National Executive Council to remain politically impartial and independent, resulting in significant dissatisfaction and withdrawal of membership in excess of three hundred.
The Save Our Union team calls on all members of the Union to remain vigilant and united against such abuse of power and incompetence which it says are destroying the image and integrity of the Union and undermining its ability to effectively represent its members.