Pageantry in St Lucia will be done a little differently this year. Rather than having two individual events, Ms Joan Johnson, President of Pageantry St Lucia, has collaborated with Ms Yasmine Walcott, to present to the public the Miss Universe and Miss World Pageant in one. The winner and first runner-up of the pageant will represent the country at the Miss Universe and Miss World pageants, respectively. In an interview with the STAR on Tuesday, Ms Johnson was asked if the organization had received any criticism for this move, she stated that the change was in fact well received. “People think it’s a wonderful idea,” she said. “It’s cost effective and at the end of the day we are going after the same sponsors.” Ms Johnson added that “it is not unusual for some pageant directors to belong to more than one franchise, so collaborations are not all that farfetched.” The local pageant is set to be held on October 20th at the Sandals Grande Resort. Over the years there has however been complaints that pageant organisers are cutting it a bit close when it comes to choosing a representative. The Miss Universe event will be held in December, leaving very little preparation time for the young lady selected to represent the country. It has been pointed out that top contenders like Venezuela and Mexico have chosen their candidates for Miss Universe a year in advance. These contestants train for months while St Lucia’s representatives have a little over a month to prepare. In response to these statements Ms Johnson stressed that countries like Venezuela and Mexico have “a lot of financial support” and “more overall support”, so they require less time to get sponsorship for their pageants. Countries like Mexico and Venezuela “have schools dedicated to pageantry,” whereas a smaller country like St Lucia has a very small pool of sponsors to draw from. Ms Johnson stressed that at times these sponsors are assisting with other festivals or events being held across the island. This year’s local pageant has been decentralized, with auditions held in both Castries and Vieux Fort. The young women are as diverse as the areas they come from and each of the ten beauties are said to have a lot of potential and drive. This event is sure to be one that the public will enjoy as beauty, intelligence and charisma are expected to be put on display. Anya Charles, Crista Alexander, Eldra Alcee, Gladis Noel, Neva Edward, Niser Clarke, Oneka McKoy, Tara Edward, Trudy Mathurin and Zena George are the pageant contestants competing for a chance to win the two coveted crowns of Miss St Lucia-Universe and Miss St Lucia-World. Keep an eye out for profiles on these ladies over the next few weeks in the STAR!
Miss Universe and Miss World St Lucia Pageant!
Person of the Year – 2016
Caribbean Book Feature at The Yard St. Lucia's 'Book Yard Book Store - NAVEL STRING'.Posted by The St Lucia STAR Newspaper on Thursday, 10 March 2016
- Government & DSH Assure Public of Commitment to Preserve Maria Islands on
- It’s Time To Give Vieux Fort a New Deal . . . on
- From Beijing to Vieux Fort on
- It’s Time To Give Vieux Fort a New Deal . . . on
- When Three’s A Crowd on
- Coconut Bay Guest and Staff to Commemorate Earth Day 2017 on
- Sports & Health Magazine For April 22, 2017 ~ Issue No. 141 on
- CIBC FirstCaribbean Maintains Partnership with UWI on
- How to find The One (Part 1) on
- SLNT to Host 4th Trust Pioneers Lecture: British Supremacy in the Caribbean on
- Ambassador Huntley to Deliver Public Lecture on Constitutional Reform on
- Chasing Waterfalls or Bandits? on
- Parenting Skills Training Programme – St. Lucia Crisis Centre on
- Taiwanese Ambassador Reassures Banana Industry Stakeholders of Continued Support on
- St Jude Hospital Organizes Health Fair to Mark World Health Day on
- Summer RELEASE SET for Shantaye’s World Film on
- Junior Achievement Directors Meet with the Patron on
- Love and lust? Are they related? on
The STAR Photo Gallery
Follow the STAR on TwitterMy Tweets
Entertainment & Archives
Tit Bits & Archives
Lifestyle & Archives
It’s a Man’s World . . . Really?
Often the best things are unexpected!
SHE ‘Dress a Girl’ Glam Party
More Lifestyle Stories
2Nite Magazine TV
2Nite Magazine's Candid Camera
You never know where 2Nite Magazine will capture you next. You may very well be the next one 'caught on candid camera' at the next event!! If its HIP and its HAPPENING, then its in 2Nite! Hosted by: Faye-Chantelle Mondesir (Empress Faye)Posted by 2nite Magazine on Friday, 22 January 2016
Contact us via WhatsApp with news on 1 758 720 2896
Sound your voice and cast your ballot!
Poll for the weekSee all polls and results
TALK or VENT here!
Subscribe for latest news and updates
- Sports & Health Magazine For April 29, 2017 ~ Issue No. 142 April 28, 2017
- 2Nite Magazine For Saturday April 29, 2017 ~ Issue No. 234 April 28, 2017
- DPPs Office: IMPACS Charges “Fake News” April 27, 2017
- The Price of Entry April 27, 2017
- Jazz Comes Alive at the Landings Resort and Spa April 26, 2017
- Governor General Throne Speech Themed ‘I Am Saint Lucian’ April 25, 2017
- Laureate’s Chair Dr Jolien Harmsen April 25, 2017
- Capita Finance to Sponsor Chamber QGM April 25, 2017
- Progress Made in Quarry Investigations April 24, 2017
- Government & DSH Assure Public of Commitment to Preserve Maria Islands April 24, 2017
Star Publishing Company is the Publisher and
Printer of the STAR Newspaper, and Tropical Traveller and SHE Caribbean Magazines.