The Gros Islet District Representative Football Competition final on Sunday will long be remembered not for the game itself—which was from all accounts was a lacklustre affair between Super J Northern United and the Orion Football Club—but for the festivities before, during and after the game. In a final played before a huge crowd at the Gros Islet Playing Field, it was sweet revenge for Northern United after losing last year’s final to their opponent. This time around, Northern came away with a 3-0 win. Troy Greenidge scored two goals for the winning side with Lennon Vernett getting the opening goal which proved to be the game winner. In an interview following the game, Northern United Manager Anthony Evans remarked: “We lost last year and this time we said we are not going to take it lightly but come back for what’s ours. We trained hard for this game and came out victorious.” When asked to describe the atmosphere Evans said: “I have never seen it like this before, not anywhere in St Lucia with the fireworks, fans and entertainment. It was really beautiful to see.” Prior to the final Dominators won the Third Place Playoff with a victory over Seaview. District Representative Emma Hippolyte congratulated Dominators for winning the Third Place Playoff and Northern United for capturing the title. The minister who has big plans for Gros Islet expressed a desire to bring football and other sports to a different level there. She praised Mike, along with Gary from the SLFA and President of the Orion Football Club, Jennifer Gaston for their work in regards to football. If Sunday’s final was an indication of things to come, Gros Islet can looking forward to some exciting times on the sports scene. Spectators were treated to steel pan music, hot sounds from the DJ, a special appearance by Gros Islet calypsonian Daddy Goggs and a fireworks display which came after the prize giving ceremony. It was a big weekend for the folks of Gros Islet who welcomed their neighbours from Martinique who took part in the 22nd edition of the Le Club Gommier Boat Race, which was a highly successful event.
Northern United Reclaims Title
Caribbean Book Feature at The Yard St. Lucia's 'Book Yard Book Store - NAVEL STRING'.Posted by The St Lucia STAR Newspaper on Thursday, 10 March 2016
- Taiwan donates US$200,000 for Matthew affected farmers! on
- George Odlum: Devil or Saint? on
- Lapses And Infelicities – A Review by McDonald Dixon on
- Regional Johnnie Cochrans Promise Suspended Reporter Free Services! on
- Man charged for possession of illegal firearm on
- We Could Drown in What Our Eyes Refuse To See! on
- Memo to PM Allen Chastanet Act Now Or We Perish! on
- Are lying journalists really politicians in disguise? on
- CBD/ECCB Diagnostic Report urges Government to undergo Structural Reforms on
- CDB advises Barbados Government to sell Caribbean Broadcasting Corp! on
- Trans-colonial collaboration in St Lucia’s political system on
- US State Department meets local journalists on
- Is education a luxury Looshans can’t afford? on
- Remembering Britain’s Efforts Against Slavery on
- POLITICS IS NO SCIENCE on
- Successful Trip to Taiwan Says Minister Flood-Beaubrun on
- PM Promises New DPP At Any Cost! on
- Eye spy ~ The Gods Must Be Crazy! on
The STAR Photo Gallery
Follow the STAR on TwitterMy Tweets
- There are currently no Ads to show.
Entertainment & Archives
Tit Bits & Archives
Lifestyle & Archives
Why Can’t a Man be More like a Woman?
Suicide: A Nation’s Worst Nightmare!
First Guatemalan baby born with Zika-linked microcephaly
More Lifestyle Stories
2Nite Magazine TV
2Nite Magazine's Candid Camera
You never know where 2Nite Magazine will capture you next. You may very well be the next one 'caught on candid camera' at the next event!! If its HIP and its HAPPENING, then its in 2Nite! Hosted by: Faye-Chantelle Mondesir (Empress Faye)Posted by 2nite Magazine on Friday, 22 January 2016
Contact us via WhatsApp with news on 1 758 720 2896
Sound your voice and cast your ballot!
Poll for the weekSee all polls and results
TALK or VENT here!
Subscribe for latest news and updates
- Police Release Homicide Details October 27, 2016
- Three Homicides in 24 Hours! October 27, 2016
- Caribbean Charity Receives Funding From CIBC Post Matthew October 27, 2016
- St Lucia Country Conference Begins October 26, 2016
- CARICOM Team to host Jounen Kwéyol Reparations Baton Relay, Youth Forum and Rally October 26, 2016
- St Lucia Bill Fish Tournament Celebrates Silver Anniversary October 26, 2016
- CARICOM Representative: “We Must Engage Youth For Sustainable Future” October 26, 2016
- Does PM Chastanet hold the Sir John Code? October 25, 2016
- Prince Harry to Visit St Lucia in November October 25, 2016
- Crisis Centre: Violence Against Women Must Stop Now! October 24, 2016
Star Publishing Company is the Publisher and
Printer of the STAR Newspaper, and Tropical Traveller and SHE Caribbean Magazines.