Richard Frederick has long been the easy target for the St Lucia Labour Party, therefore no surprise if the party saw the recent revocation of his US visa as the final nail to be driven in the Castries Central MP’s political coffin. It turns out that Frederick may have more lives than the proverbial cat. On the evidence, and despite his having resigned as a Cabinet member, he is now more than ever popular. Which may explain his opponent Stanley Felix’s assertion at a recent public meeting that it had cost him US$350 to find out exactly why Frederick’s visa was revoked. Whatever the reason was, Felix chose to keep it to himself, if only “for the time being.” Typically, Frederick responded at his first opportunity, last Sunday’s William Peter Boulevard rally. Addressing Felix’s statement before what was arguably the largest crowd ever seen in Castries, Frederick said: “I want you to tell me why they cancelled the visa of your colleague candidate’s mother and why they deported her!” While he did not name the “candidate-colleague’s mother” in question, Frederick added that she was deported from Puerto Rico and her visa cancelled. Our investigation of the matter led us to Robert Lewis, the Labour MP for Castries South. Uncharacteristically, the normally outspoken Lewis refused to say whether he was the “colleague candidate” fingered by Frederick at last Sunday’s UWP rally. “I will not comment on the matter,” he said. “If Mr Frederick wants to, he will make known to the public who he was referring to.” At last Sunday’s rally, Richard Frederick also took a swipe at the SLP’s Choiseul/Saltibus, candidate, when he challenged Stanley Felix, a lawyer who once worked out of Frederick’s chambers, to investigate why another “colleague-candidate was arrested and charged with rape” and why the case never came before a judge and jury. Lorne Theophilus was arrested after he was accused of raping a female colleague at his law offices on Brazil Street, Castries on Saturday January 15th 2005. At first he was refused bail. The decision was reversed after his lawyers convinced the High Court that the law denying rape suspects bail was unconstitutional. The issue made headlines, with Mario Michel insisting to no avail that the law enacted in the time of Kenny Anthony’s Labour administration was indeed supported by the Constitution. At the time Mr Theophilus was associated with the United Workers Party. He later joined the Labour Party as their candidate for Choiseul.
Richard Frederick Strikes Back!
Caribbean Book Feature at The Yard St. Lucia's 'Book Yard Book Store - NAVEL STRING'.Posted by The St Lucia STAR Newspaper on Thursday, 10 March 2016
- Taiwan donates US$200,000 for Matthew affected farmers! on
- George Odlum: Devil or Saint? on
- Lapses And Infelicities – A Review by McDonald Dixon on
- Regional Johnnie Cochrans Promise Suspended Reporter Free Services! on
- Man charged for possession of illegal firearm on
- We Could Drown in What Our Eyes Refuse To See! on
- Memo to PM Allen Chastanet Act Now Or We Perish! on
- Are lying journalists really politicians in disguise? on
- CBD/ECCB Diagnostic Report urges Government to undergo Structural Reforms on
- CDB advises Barbados Government to sell Caribbean Broadcasting Corp! on
- Trans-colonial collaboration in St Lucia’s political system on
- US State Department meets local journalists on
- Is education a luxury Looshans can’t afford? on
- Remembering Britain’s Efforts Against Slavery on
- POLITICS IS NO SCIENCE on
- Successful Trip to Taiwan Says Minister Flood-Beaubrun on
- PM Promises New DPP At Any Cost! on
- Eye spy ~ The Gods Must Be Crazy! on
The STAR Photo Gallery
Follow the STAR on TwitterMy Tweets
- There are currently no Ads to show.
Entertainment & Archives
Tit Bits & Archives
Lifestyle & Archives
Why Can’t a Man be More like a Woman?
Suicide: A Nation’s Worst Nightmare!
First Guatemalan baby born with Zika-linked microcephaly
More Lifestyle Stories
2Nite Magazine TV
2Nite Magazine's Candid Camera
You never know where 2Nite Magazine will capture you next. You may very well be the next one 'caught on candid camera' at the next event!! If its HIP and its HAPPENING, then its in 2Nite! Hosted by: Faye-Chantelle Mondesir (Empress Faye)Posted by 2nite Magazine on Friday, 22 January 2016
Contact us via WhatsApp with news on 1 758 720 2896
Sound your voice and cast your ballot!
Poll for the weekSee all polls and results
TALK or VENT here!
Subscribe for latest news and updates
- CARICOM Representative: “We Must Engage Youth For Sustainable Future” October 26, 2016
- Does PM Chastanet hold the Sir John Code? October 25, 2016
- Prince Harry to Visit St Lucia in November October 25, 2016
- Crisis Centre: Violence Against Women Must Stop Now! October 24, 2016
- Sugar and Spice: Why do we keep robbing little girls of everything nice? October 24, 2016
- Laws Do Not Stop or Prevent Crime! October 24, 2016
- Writing Gave me a Voice October 22, 2016
- For Whom the Bell Tolls October 22, 2016
- Do Black Lives Matter in Our Own Backyard? October 22, 2016
- The People’s Prophet Should Be Remembered For Whom He Was! October 22, 2016
Star Publishing Company is the Publisher and
Printer of the STAR Newspaper, and Tropical Traveller and SHE Caribbean Magazines.