Royal Club title for Central Castries

Central Castries players celebrating after winning the Royal Club Under-20 Football title.

Central Castries players celebrating after winning the Royal Club Under-20 Football title.

The curtains came down on the Royal Club Under-20 Football Tournament on Saturday with a double header at the Mindoo Phillip Park.

In the Third Place Play off, Anse La Raye defeated Gros Islet on penalties 4-3, after playing to a goalless draw. Gros Islet had the better of the exchanges, but were unable to convert their many opportunities. However, in the ensuing penalty shoot out Anse La Raye held their composure against the runaway winners thus securing the Third Place Trophy.

The Finals played between Central Castries and Denney lived up to all expectations. Both teams took the fight to each other in a fast paced and exciting encounter. As the old cliché goes “goals win matches,” but this was not to be. The lads from Dennery squandered numerous scoring opportunities especially in the second half. When the final whistle went neither team had found the back of the nets.

The Dennery players were made to lick their wounds when in the resulting penalty shoot out, Central Castries prevailed winning 4-2, and thus laying first claim to the Royal Club Under-20 Football Trophy. Congratulations to the Central Castries Team.

At the conclusion of the Match the Following Awards were presented: Best Striker- Marlon Gilbert (Dennery); Best Midfielder -Aloysious Fredrick (Dennery); Best Goal Keeper-Chav St Clair (Gros Islet); Best Defensive Player-Kenvic Polius (Dennery); MVP of the Tournament-Devaugh Charles (Anse La Raye); Fair Play Award-(Dennery); Third Place-(Anse La Raye); Second Place-(Dennery); Champions -(Central Castries)

Football action continued in the Northern Zone Super League Football Tournament with another Double Header at the Mindoo Phillip Park on Sunday.

The first encounter featured La Clery against a disorganized South Castries team, who started the game with only eight players. To add insult to injury, their coach only showed up fifteen minutes into the encounter albeit after a late start.

La Clery pounced on the advantage and seized the initiative in the second minute, when Shervin St Prix found the back of the net.

The onslaught continued and although South Castries was reinforced with two additional players the outcome was never in doubt. La Clery ran away clear and worthy winners 8-3, this coming on the heels of their earlier 13-1 thrashing at the hands of Gros Islet last week.

Two hat ricks were scored in the game by opposing players. Shervin St Prix of La Clery netted in the second 20th, 27th, and 60th minute, while Valance Louis scored for La Clery in the 25th, 54th and 74th minute. The other goal scorers for La Clery were scored by Jonathan Allain in the 12th and 62nd minute and Bermal Delice in the 24th and 49th minute.

It must also be pointed out that South Castries played the entire game with only ten players on their roster.

In the second encounter Gros Islet booked their passage to the next round with a lackluster 1-1 draw against Babonneau.

Gros Islet surged into the lead in the ninth minute via the boots of Kenwin Mc Phee. From then the game took on a ding dong tussle as Gros Islet seemed bent on cushioning their position. However, on the resumption of play Babonneau, who came out firing on all cylinders, were eventually rewarded when Lynch Isidore leveled the scores in the 49th minute.

From then on the pendulum swung back and forth as both teams tried in vain to seize the advantage, but this was not to be as Gros Islet hung on to the final whistle  despite  squandering numerous scoring opportunities.

In the end the Babonneau Team was happy to salvage a draw.

Share your feedback with us.

Comments are closed.

← Go Back | bbApp | Sports Back to Top ↑
THE STAR Newspaper
Magazines available in THE STAR Newspaper
2nite Magazine
Sports & Health Inc

Lifestyle & Archives