St. Lucian Woman Dies In House Fire In The Bronx

Two people were killed last Saturday when separate fires raged through two houses in the Bronx early that morning — the blazes less than three blocks apart, witnesses and fire officials said. The deadly pre-dawn tragedies left four others hospitalized and neighbors and friends reeling with grief. The earlier blaze started around 3:15 a.m. in the basement apartment that 64-year-old Claudia Bretney shared with her boyfriend on Beach Ave. near McGraw Ave. in Parkchester, officials and witnesses said.

The fire appears to have been sparked by a space heater, sources said. The fast-burning flames quickly spread throughout the house and Bretney was trapped by the smoke and fire. The popular St. Lucia native moved to the area with her boyfriend about five years ago from Florida. She was known for her cookouts and church outings, friends told the Daily News. “She was a great person,” said Augustus Evans, 49. “I knew her since I was a little kid.” Bretney and Evans both hailed from Monchy.

Firefighters investigate the firescene in the Bronx.

Firefighters investigate the firescene in the Bronx.

It took firefighters almost an hour to bring the blaze under control, officials said. Bretney was taken to Jacobi Medical Center where she died. Bretney’s boyfriend and another woman were both in critical condition at Jacobi, FDNY Battalion Chief Vincent Mosca said. Two other men were hospitalized for smoke inhalation. “I heard people screaming,” said Carmen Vurgos, 60, who lives next to the home. “I was scared the fire was going to go to my house.”

Hermia Marin, 46, said Bretney’s death struck a personal nerve because she had comforted her after a fire tore through her own apartment on Dec 27. “She prayed with me, she helped me, cooked food for me,” Marin said. “She was a beautiful person, a good heart, one of the best I’ve ever known.” –

Share your feedback with us.

Comments are closed.

← Go Back | bbApp | Local | pulse Back to Top ↑
THE STAR Newspaper
Magazines available in THE STAR Newspaper
2nite Magazine
Sports & Health Inc