On the occasion of the French National Day, on July 14, the Ambassador of France to the OECS countries, M. Eric de La Moussaye, held an exchange with local media personnel about his county’s ongoing mutual cooperation with Saint Lucia.
According to the French Embassy here, considering the historical ties between France and Saint Lucia, we have sustained a relation in many areas such as security, health, educational cooperation and the teaching of French, technical cooperation. Saint Lucia is one of the main partners of France in the region of the Eastern Caribbean.
The Embassy of France is, with the Deputy High Commission of the United Kingdom, the only European representation in Castries.
The ambassador’s statement went on to indicate that the geographical proximity of our two overseas territories, especially Martinique, but also Guadeloupe, is also utilized to increase the commercial exchanges, but also to assist Saint Lucia in various areas.
Some examples of recent actions and projects carried out:
– Support provided by the French Government and the Regional Council of Martinique after the 2013 Christmas trough;
– Permanent monitoring of the state services in Martinique in the event of natural disasters;
– The 5th Joint Security Commission Franco-Saint Lucian recently held, and the new agreements on judicial cooperation;
– Security, military and police cooperation;
– Launch of a remediation project of the port of Castries with support from the French Development Agency, in partnership with SLASPA;
– Draft agreement on health matter between the French and the Saint Lucian Governments and on cooperation between the hospitals of Saint Lucia and Martinique;
– Involvement of the French Government, through the European Union, on the financing of the new hospital;
– Convention of educational cooperation between Saint Lucia and Martinique;
– Cultural Cooperation / contributions of Martinique, Guadeloupe and French Guiana for the project of renovation of the Warden’s building and the Botanical Garden of Castries, the jazz festival in the South, the organization of prestigious cultural events ;
– Renovation project of the Alliance Française of Castries (the head of the network of the 5 OECS Alliances) ;
– University Cooperation with the University of the West Indies;
– Regional cooperation: adherence of the regions of Martinique and Guadeloupe to the OECS, declaration of intent between Martinique and Saint Lucia.