Weekend Shocker: Six killed!

13-year-old Kensley Hunte was found hanging while Laila Norgaard was shot.

It has been some time  since Saint Lucia has had such a bloody weekend. The society was still reeling from the news while National Security and Home Affairs Minister Guy Mayers was calling for the community to pull together during this time.
Friends and family of Vincentian-born Gloria Greenwood are among those in mourning.  The 79-year-old was found dead outside her house around 9:30am on Sunday October 16.  According to police, she was pronounced dead on the scene by a medical doctor.  Police confirm there were marks of violence on her body and suspect she was bludgeoned.  An autopsy was scheduled for yesterday (Tuesday).
The STAR made its way to Greenwood’s residence at Glasgow Hill, Marisule on Monday.  Her driveway was adorned with beautiful flora.  The house appeared secluded with no neighbours in close proximity.  There was no activity of any kind.  The ‘BEWARE OF DOG’ sign mounted on the gate seemed to be just a namesake.
We drove around the area and spoke to a few helpers and neighbours who collectively agreed that the victim had a glorious garden where she invested most of her time and energy.  One neighbour, McDonald Dixon, described Greenwood as a dear friend and was shocked at the news of her death.  He hopes her death will not be added to the long list of unsolved murders in St Lucia.
Police say while a motive is yet to be established, a quantity of items were reported as missing from her home.  Neighbours believe that Greenwood’s former employee should be a person of interest because he had broken into her house before and tried to steal her car.
Police assure that an investigation is ongoing, however, no one is in custody in relation to this matter.  At press time we were informed that Greenwood’s car had been found.
On Friday October 14 around 10:30pm at Cemetery Road in Soufriere, 39-year-old Laila Norgaard Joseph from Denmark was at her house with her husband and two other individuals when two masked men entered the house with a firearm and a cutlass respectively. She was shot in the upper part of her body after the intruders demanded money.  The men fled the scene thereafter.                 She was taken to the Soufriere Hospital where she was pronounced dead. No one has been arrested in connection with the incident and a motive has not been established.
Soufriere police are also investigating the death of 53-year-old Alphonso Charlemagne aka “Jump-Up” of Lesperance, Soufriere, who was involved in a traffic accident about 6:30pm on that very Friday at Mocha, Fond St Jacques. According to reports, Charlemagne was driving in the direction of his home when the vehicle hit a wall attached to a nearby bridge, then overturned and
plunged into the river.
He was taken via ambulance to the Soufriere Hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was the sole occupant of the vehicle.
The other incident on that Friday occurred in Laborie.  A 13-year-old boy, Kensley Hunte of Kennedy Highway, Laborie, was found dead in a wooden structure which is adjacent to his house, about 8:25pm. A police statement reported that his 24-year-old brother found him with a rope wrapped around his neck and the other end fastened to a nail attached to the upper part of the partition. His knees were reportedly resting on the floor of the structure. Police are treating the incident as a suspected suicide.
Hunte lived with his parents and siblings and attended the Vieux-Fort Comprehensive Secondary School.
Richfond police are investigating the death of 42-year-old, Josy Jules alias “Boy” of Grand Ravine, Dennery. Jules was found dead near a phone booth about 4am on Saturday at Grand Ravine. He was pronounced dead on the scene by a medical doctor.  Reports indicate that the deceased was shot in the upper part of his body during a shooting in the earlier that day. There are three persons in custody in relation to this incident. A post mortem was scheduled for yesterday Tuesday.
On the same Saturday about 10:50pm, police responded to a report at Talvan, Babonneau, where 44-year-old Teddison Emmanuel was attacked by a cutlass wielding assailant. It was reported that Emmanuel was at
a shop in the area when his attacker struck him several times about the body. He reportedly left the area but the individual pursued him and allegedly struck him with the cutlass in the upper part of the body. He was later pronounced dead at the Victoria Hospital. One man is currently in police custody in relation to this incident.

Share your feedback with us.

Comments are closed.

← Go Back | Headlines Back to Top ↑
THE STAR Newspaper
Magazines available in THE STAR Newspaper
2nite Magazine
Sports & Health Inc

Lifestyle & Archives