West Indies Women fell to an eight-wicket defeat against England Women in their opening Twenty20 International of the five-match series on Saturday in England. West Indies struggled in seamer-friendly conditions at the Riverside Ground and were held to 71-8 off their allotted overs – their lowest ever T20 total. Captain Merissa Aguilleira, batting at Number three, top-scored with 21 from 29 balls and led only three players in double figures as Tremayne Smartt (14) and Shemaine Campbelle (11) chipped in. Left-arm spinner Holly Colvin finished with two for five from her four overs while new ball bowler Katherine Brunt claimed two for 16. England needed just over half-hour to claim victory, as Laura Marsh (31) and captain Charlotte Edwards (27) set the foundation for the easy victory with a 59-run opening stand. Marsh stroked five fours off 22 balls while Edwards counted three boundaries off 26 balls. West Indies stumbled out of the blocks, losing Juliana Nero without scoring to the second ball of the game with no runs on the board, lbw to Brunt swinging across the line. Four balls later, left-hander Kycia Knight also departed without scoring via the lbw route. When the dangerous Deandra Dottin was also lbw without scoring, this time to Brunt’s new-ball partner Anya Shrubsole, West Indies were in a deep hole at seven for three in the second over. Aguilleira, however, halted the decline with a 28-run fourth wicket stand off 48 balls with Campbelle. The right-hander stroked two fours and looked to be pulling the Windies around when she was one of two wickets to fall in successive overs with just two runs added. Campbelle was bowled around her legs by Colvin before Aguilleira, attempting to push the scoring along, lofted off-spinner Marsh to mid-off at the end of the 11th over. Wickets then fell steadily and Smartt’s run-a-ball 14 was the only spark at the end.
Windies lose opener to clinical England
Caribbean Book Feature at The Yard St. Lucia's 'Book Yard Book Store - NAVEL STRING'.Posted by The St Lucia STAR Newspaper on Thursday, 10 March 2016
- Taiwan donates US$200,000 for Matthew affected farmers! on
- George Odlum: Devil or Saint? on
- Lapses And Infelicities – A Review by McDonald Dixon on
- Regional Johnnie Cochrans Promise Suspended Reporter Free Services! on
- Man charged for possession of illegal firearm on
- We Could Drown in What Our Eyes Refuse To See! on
- Memo to PM Allen Chastanet Act Now Or We Perish! on
- Are lying journalists really politicians in disguise? on
- CBD/ECCB Diagnostic Report urges Government to undergo Structural Reforms on
- CDB advises Barbados Government to sell Caribbean Broadcasting Corp! on
- Trans-colonial collaboration in St Lucia’s political system on
- US State Department meets local journalists on
- Is education a luxury Looshans can’t afford? on
- Remembering Britain’s Efforts Against Slavery on
- POLITICS IS NO SCIENCE on
- Successful Trip to Taiwan Says Minister Flood-Beaubrun on
- PM Promises New DPP At Any Cost! on
- Eye spy ~ The Gods Must Be Crazy! on
The STAR Photo Gallery
Follow the STAR on TwitterMy Tweets
- There are currently no Ads to show.
Entertainment & Archives
Tit Bits & Archives
Lifestyle & Archives
Why Can’t a Man be More like a Woman?
Suicide: A Nation’s Worst Nightmare!
First Guatemalan baby born with Zika-linked microcephaly
More Lifestyle Stories
2Nite Magazine TV
2Nite Magazine's Candid Camera
You never know where 2Nite Magazine will capture you next. You may very well be the next one 'caught on candid camera' at the next event!! If its HIP and its HAPPENING, then its in 2Nite! Hosted by: Faye-Chantelle Mondesir (Empress Faye)Posted by 2nite Magazine on Friday, 22 January 2016
Contact us via WhatsApp with news on 1 758 720 2896
Sound your voice and cast your ballot!
Poll for the weekSee all polls and results
TALK or VENT here!
Subscribe for latest news and updates
- Writing Gave me a Voice October 22, 2016
- For Whom the Bell Tolls October 22, 2016
- Do Black Lives Matter in Our Own Backyard? October 22, 2016
- The People’s Prophet Should Be Remembered For Whom He Was! October 22, 2016
- Another Graduation, Another Eye Opener October 22, 2016
- A-m-u-s-i-n-g-s – A Letter to Gale Part 5 October 22, 2016
- Pissin’ In Our Own Damn Eyes October 22, 2016
- New AG Appeals to PM For Urgent Assistance October 22, 2016
- The STAR Newspaper for Saturday, October 22 2016 ~ Photo of the Week October 22, 2016
- The STAR Newspaper for Saturday, October 22 2016 October 22, 2016
Star Publishing Company is the Publisher and
Printer of the STAR Newspaper, and Tropical Traveller and SHE Caribbean Magazines.