It was a marvelous event with a huge crowd to enjoy all the trimmings that Heineken had to offer, but in the end only one DJ could have won –having withstood the onslaught of his opponents both onstage and off- stage. It was the grand finals of the 2012 Heineken Green Synergy DJ competition, the most talked about event of the summer here in Saint Lucia. And, in the preceding weeks, it was the most talked about event at night spots, barber shops and on the blocks. And so the fans followed the hype all the way to the finals. According to Shelley Black, Marketing manager of Windward and Leeward Brewery Ltd, the parent company of Heineken, it was wonderful to see that the crowds and fans are still very supportive of Heineken Green Synergy. “We are extremely pleased that over the nine years the crowds keep coming back and supporting us. This year we had tremendous support and the event was incident free not a scuffle, no mishaps, nothing. It was just a great event in a peaceful atmosphere and the only explosions were from the firework display we delivered to cap off the event,” Black said. The 2012 Heineken Green Synergy DJ competition final was held at the Fond d’Or Park in Dennery Sunday September 2. The upgraded park with a new amphitheater setting, allowed organizers to stage an event of the highest quality in a venue with an unmatched ambience. Sunday’s event was more than just about the music, it was about friends, food, drinks, comradery, friendly rivalry, north meeting south and yes the DJ as the center piece. The finals which was hosted by MC Donavil featured 8 DJ’s all aiming for the title of Heineken Green Synergy DJ Champion which in 2011 was won by Selecta Twis who was again competing this year. The other DJ’s were Mega B, DJ Lovely, Sly Eli, DJ Spy, DJ Smokey, DJ Thurum and DJ Flexx. The rules: the DJ’s played in pairs and was judged in two parts. During the first component where they played for ten minutes, they were judged on “music selection,” “cross over mixing,” “technique,” “mic/DJ synergy” and “crowd response,” for a total of 100 points. The second aspect, the clash, was worth 50 points and the DJ’s were judged on “clash selections” and “crowd response.” The winners of this round then moved on to the second round. From round one, Twis who came up against Thurum was quite confident and offered an eclectic world class mix of music. Thurum came back hard in the clash, but Twis was unstoppable moving on to round two along with DJ Lovely, Mega B and Smokey. In the second round it was Lovely vs. Mega B and Twis vs. Smokey and the DJ’s were required to play five minutes of old school music (anything before 2000) in the first segment. In the clash segment they were required to play one “foundation” song and one Hip Hop. DJ Twis, maintaining his composure made light of his opponent whilst Lovely put up the fight of her life. Mega B however dug deep to pull out some rarities from his old school stock scoring much higher there. Lovely did not fare as well, crossing the bridge over the 90’s. However during the clash segment she was on fire with the crowd fully behind her, but on total points it was not enough to save her. In the end Twis and Mega B were left standing and toe to toe during their ten minute mix they were both good. However DJ Twis exhibited confidence, maturing and an understanding of both the expectations of the judges and the crowd. During the clash as well his approach was different, not just bashing his fellow DJ but using songs to “big” himself up as well. With 292 points to Mega B’s- 279 Selecta Twis one of the crowd favourites from the start was also the judges choice for Heineken Green Synergy 2012 champion. Gaius Harry, the Heineken Brand manager speaking after the event, expressed satisfaction overall. “This year under our H-Marks the spot tag line we took the event to a new level and I want to thank all of the DJ’s who took part as well as the fans for coming out. I believe that it was a wonderful final and whilst in any competition there will be different views about the outcome, I think the judges did a good job and overall the results were well received,” Harry said. The Heineken Green Synergy DJ Champion taking home the trophy, over EC$8,000 in cash and prizes. Over the next year he will play at all Heineken events and is looking forward to representing Saint Lucia and Heineken overseas as well. Fans of Heineken Green Synergy are asked to follow the Facebook page all the way to 2013 the 10th anniversary of Heineken Green Synergy in Saint Lucia.
Selecta Twist does it again!
Person of the Year – 2016
Caribbean Book Feature at The Yard St. Lucia's 'Book Yard Book Store - NAVEL STRING'.Posted by The St Lucia STAR Newspaper on Thursday, 10 March 2016
- Saint Lucia’s National Culinary Team starts countdown to CHTA Taste of the Caribbean Competition 2017 on
- Taiwan’s Participation is Vital to Global Influenza Pandemic Preparedness and Response on
- Investment in the South Continues with Black Bay Master Development on
- He Said What? on
- Allen’s Big Mistake on
- Allen’s Big Mistake on
- Caribbean Policy Makers Recognize ECLAC’s 70-year Contribution to Regional Development on
- WASCO Public Notice on
- Call for Submissions for TTFF/17 New Media Showcase on
- Saint Lucia Welcomes Thomson Airways Inaugural Flight on
- Jazz on The Bay on
- Baron Foods’ First Shipment to Cuba on
- Trust issues … and then some on
- Government continues review of Subventions and Grants to State Agencies on
- Teddyson John Lands Nomination for Nigerian Entertainment Awards on
- Saltchuk – Tropical Shipping Grant Funds Available on
- Prime Minister to Address Strategic Areas for Growth in First Budget Speech on
- Is Kenya’s Mobile-Money Success Translatable to the Caribbean? on
The STAR Photo Gallery
Follow the STAR on TwitterMy Tweets
Entertainment & Archives
Tit Bits & Archives
Lifestyle & Archives
It’s a Man’s World . . . Really?
Often the best things are unexpected!
SHE ‘Dress a Girl’ Glam Party
More Lifestyle Stories
2Nite Magazine TV
2Nite Magazine's Candid Camera
You never know where 2Nite Magazine will capture you next. You may very well be the next one 'caught on candid camera' at the next event!! If its HIP and its HAPPENING, then its in 2Nite! Hosted by: Faye-Chantelle Mondesir (Empress Faye)Posted by 2nite Magazine on Friday, 22 January 2016
Contact us via WhatsApp with news on 1 758 720 2896
Sound your voice and cast your ballot!
Poll for the weekSee all polls and results
TALK or VENT here!
Subscribe for latest news and updates
- To live or to really live, that is the question! May 27, 2017
- Caribbean Keeping up with Worldwide Renewable Energy Trends May 27, 2017
- Même Bête Sets The Bar May 27, 2017
- The Bible Talks About Asses . . . Never Donkeys! May 27, 2017
- What Would Walcott Do? May 27, 2017
- HERILTON CELESTIN . . . a long road well travelled. (Part One) May 27, 2017
- PM Addresses Question of Job Guarantees for Local Workers! May 27, 2017
- Rick Wayne In The Hot Chair? May 27, 2017
- Making the Possible Impossible! May 27, 2017
- The STAR Newspaper For Saturday May 27th 2017 – Photo Of The Week May 27, 2017
Star Publishing Company is the Publisher and
Printer of the STAR Newspaper, and Tropical Traveller and SHE Caribbean Magazines.