The final sweet 16 participants for the 2012 Veterans Football Tournament are known, following the last set of preliminary play off matches Thursday evening. In a Group A encounter of only academic interest Desruisseaux playing on their home field defeated Anse La Raye 2-1 before a very appreciative crowd. Anse La Raye went ahead in the 27th minute through former national striker Benjamin “Satan” Gabriel, however goals from Nicholas “Appa” Simeon in the 42nd minute and from Lawrence “Row” Malcolm in the final minute of play gave Desruisseaux the victory. Mabouya Valley and Anse La Raye qualified for the tournament from Group A as the top two teams. Mabouya Valley finished on seven points, Anse La Raye four points, while Vieux Forth North and Desruisseaux registered three points. In Group B the qualifiers for the tournament are Congorians who topped the group and Prophets and Kings who finished second. Congorians and Prophets and Kings both finished with six points with a plus two goal difference, however Congorians topped the group by virtue of scoring more goals than Prophets and Kings. Congorians had seven goals for and five against, while Prophets and Kings had five goals for and three against. La Clery just missed out on qualification finishing on six points also with a goal difference of plus two, but they had five goals for and four against. Babonneau finished at the bottom of Group B with no points losing all their matches. In the final group games Thursday night in Group B at the La Guerre Playing Field, Congorians defeated Prophets and Kings 2-0 with goals coming from Ian Jacobs, on a well struck free kick from Valence Duncan who converted from the penalty spot. In the other game Thursday evening, La Clery won over home team Babonneau 1-0. The playoff qualifiers have been placed in the following four groups for the preliminaries of the tournament. Group A: VSADC, Lab Vets of Laborie, Soufriere, Mabouya Valley. Group B: Behind the College All Stars, Vieux Fort South, Shamrock, Congorians. Group C: All Blacks Veterans of Dennery, Gros Islet Legands, Lancers FC, Prophets and Kings. Group D: Caricom Masters, Micoud, Nyah and Anse La Raye. The tournament’s press launch takes place today (Saturday) from 7pm at Sandals Grande. All 16 teams are required to have two representatives there along with a team jersey sample. The tournament’s grand launch takes place October 14 at the Beausejour Cricket Grounds.
Sweet 16 for Veterans Football Tournament
Caribbean Book Feature at The Yard St. Lucia's 'Book Yard Book Store - NAVEL STRING'.Posted by The St Lucia STAR Newspaper on Thursday, 10 March 2016
- Taiwan donates US$200,000 for Matthew affected farmers! on
- George Odlum: Devil or Saint? on
- Lapses And Infelicities – A Review by McDonald Dixon on
- Regional Johnnie Cochrans Promise Suspended Reporter Free Services! on
- Man charged for possession of illegal firearm on
- We Could Drown in What Our Eyes Refuse To See! on
- Memo to PM Allen Chastanet Act Now Or We Perish! on
- Are lying journalists really politicians in disguise? on
- CBD/ECCB Diagnostic Report urges Government to undergo Structural Reforms on
- CDB advises Barbados Government to sell Caribbean Broadcasting Corp! on
- Trans-colonial collaboration in St Lucia’s political system on
- US State Department meets local journalists on
- Is education a luxury Looshans can’t afford? on
- Remembering Britain’s Efforts Against Slavery on
- POLITICS IS NO SCIENCE on
- Successful Trip to Taiwan Says Minister Flood-Beaubrun on
- PM Promises New DPP At Any Cost! on
- Eye spy ~ The Gods Must Be Crazy! on
The STAR Photo Gallery
Follow the STAR on TwitterMy Tweets
- There are currently no Ads to show.
Entertainment & Archives
Tit Bits & Archives
Lifestyle & Archives
Why Can’t a Man be More like a Woman?
Suicide: A Nation’s Worst Nightmare!
First Guatemalan baby born with Zika-linked microcephaly
More Lifestyle Stories
2Nite Magazine TV
2Nite Magazine's Candid Camera
You never know where 2Nite Magazine will capture you next. You may very well be the next one 'caught on candid camera' at the next event!! If its HIP and its HAPPENING, then its in 2Nite! Hosted by: Faye-Chantelle Mondesir (Empress Faye)Posted by 2nite Magazine on Friday, 22 January 2016
Contact us via WhatsApp with news on 1 758 720 2896
Sound your voice and cast your ballot!
Poll for the weekSee all polls and results
TALK or VENT here!
Subscribe for latest news and updates
- Police Release Homicide Details October 27, 2016
- Three Homicides in 24 Hours! October 27, 2016
- Caribbean Charity Receives Funding From CIBC Post Matthew October 27, 2016
- St Lucia Country Conference Begins October 26, 2016
- CARICOM Team to host Jounen Kwéyol Reparations Baton Relay, Youth Forum and Rally October 26, 2016
- St Lucia Bill Fish Tournament Celebrates Silver Anniversary October 26, 2016
- CARICOM Representative: “We Must Engage Youth For Sustainable Future” October 26, 2016
- Does PM Chastanet hold the Sir John Code? October 25, 2016
- Prince Harry to Visit St Lucia in November October 25, 2016
- Crisis Centre: Violence Against Women Must Stop Now! October 24, 2016
Star Publishing Company is the Publisher and
Printer of the STAR Newspaper, and Tropical Traveller and SHE Caribbean Magazines.